January Monthly Round-Up!
Statement from CEO Richard James Burgess:
Happy New Year and here’s looking for a prosperous 2017 for you all.
I think we can confidently say that this will be a year of change with an all-new and, potentially very different, administration in power. Fortunately, by now, we are well adapted to change in the music industry and the independent sector in particular.
Already this year we have seen Billboard and Nielsen announce a shift of some genre charts to a consumption basis and, with the increasing dominance of streaming audio, that trend will continue. BuzzAngle’s recent assessment of yet another increase, in the independent sector’s market share, to 35.1% augurs well for all of us.
Let the games begin.
Richard James Burgess CEO A2IM
Behind The Scenes
- Ending the year at 425 Labels, A2IM officially has its largest number of Label Members to date!
- Patrick & Richard hosted a successful town hall meeting with our members at Spotify offices with Troy Carter in Los Angeles!
- Patrick presented at the Redeye Label Hang in North Carolina
- Alex is taking over our Associate Member Spotlights – please reach out to her directly for yours!
- Richard attended the SoundExchange Board Meeting in Los Angeles & hosted a Pandora roundtable with some of our Label Members
- We welcomed several new members: Communion Records, Inspired Studios, Swoon City Records, Wichita Recordings, Little Dickman Records & PaperCup Music!
- Marcus & Alex have set up the Libera Awards & Indie Week to be ON SALE
- PRE-SALE ends on January 31 – Make sure to purchase your Libera Awards ticket to score a FREE registration to Indie Week 2017!
- Marcus has set up a new & seamless way for our members to submit for the Libera Awards – Nominate now!
- Sheryl confirmed the Clemente Soto Velez Cultural and Educational Center for our venue for Indie Week 2017 & started our first Indie Week Committee!
- Alex will be in Seattle on February 2, 2017 for our PACNW Chapter Event! Make sure to RSVP here!
- Sky has been meeting direct with brands over the past month and will soon be reaching out to our membership about a few new opportunities for 2017. He is also currently in the process of setting up a Brand Partnership Committee. Feel free to reach out to him directly if you’d like to join the Brand Partnership Committee or learn more about Sponsorship Opportunities with A2IM!
- Want to see all of our day to day happenings? Check our Twitter for constant updates!
Events Coming Up
- Pacific Northwest Chapter event has been set for February 2, 2017!
- A2IM Discount: Folk Alliance International Conference
- A2IM Discount: SXSW Music & Platinum!
- A2IM 12th Annual SXSW Breakfast
- Indie Week 2017!
- Independent artists break Grammy Nominations Record! With 67% of the nominations, Independents reign majority for the seventh year in a row.
- NEBULAE is calling for all labels and/or distributors that focus on genres such as indie, psych, garage, metal and doom to reach out regarding its new true lossless streaming service due to launch soon!
- You can now start nominating for the 2017 Libera Awards! (Note: free submissions when you purchase a Libera Awards ticket!)
- Libera Awards PRE-SALE is ON NOW. Purchase your ticket before January 31 to receive a FREE registration to Indie Week.
- Indie Week tickets are also on sale! A2IM Members qualify for special pricing during Pre-Sale.
- The Law Offices of Jennifer Newman Sharpe is a boutique law practice based in New York City with a focus on entertainment, intellectual property, and media law.
- NMPA and YouTube Reach Agreement to Distribute Unclaimed Royalties – read the full press release here.
- Billboard Announces new Genre Album Consumption Charts
- A2IM released it’s annual Independent Grammy Voter Guide! Ballots are due by Jan 13!
Ask the CEO