October Monthly Round-Up!
Statement from CEO Richard James Burgess: Dear members, this is an incredibly active time in our industry. We are currently engaged in the SDARS III rate setting proceedings that determines satellite radio rates. Along with 13 other trade associations, we just successfully filed against the FCC’s proposal to regulate the set top box market, which would have negatively affected creators’ and copyright owners’ ability to be compensated for their work. The impending Pandora service has changed a system that has been stable for more than a decade and a half and created some new challenges for our members. With all of these changes, please don’t hesitate to let me know if you have any questions. I encourage you to lean on us as your Trade Association for information and help.
Behind The Scenes
- A2IM brought together NYC-based non-members with our board and committees to educate them more on what A2IM can do for their growing businesses
- Patrick got back from successful trips to Stockholm, AmericanaFest, and Chicago DIY Conference! Next stop, ADE!
- Jen and Richard got back from meetings at AIM’s AGM and Reeperbahn Festival
- Jen not only traveled for meetings, she also moderated a panel at this year’s Mondo.NYC and is now headed to Dublin this week for the Hard Working Class Heroes in Dublin! She is also working hard to get our members the right meetings with music supervisors at the A2IM LA SynchUp on Nov 2.
- Richard filed an Expert Ethnomusicologist Opinion on ICANN’s .MUSIC Community Priority Evaluation Report for DotMusic’s Application ID 1-1115-14110
- A2IM filed in opposition of the FCC’s newest Set Top Box proposal, which has since been taken down! Richard says, “We are thrilled to hear the news that the FCC has heard the creative community’s concerns and decided to delay their vote on the recent set top box proposal. The significance of the creativity community coming together to unanimously oppose this has not gone unnoticed. We hope that in its next version, the set top box proposal addresses our concerns of copyright, privacy and, of course, the creators’ needs.”
- Richard has just completed an OpEd for Hypebot, O.P.I.P. Yeah You Know – Free? Including an exclusive interview with Portia Sabin on her podcast, Future of What
- Marcus is putting info together for the MDCP funding for CMW, so keep an eye out for that! There are still spots available for ADE!
- Alex is working on new ways to make the organization more accessible to members and in the public eye! Stay tuned for big changes to come…
- Want to see all of our day to day happenings? Check our Twitter for constant updates! Plus, we got a new office puppy… so if anything, you’ll want pictures of him
Events Coming Up
- Amsterdam Dance Event (ADE) is coming up soon! October 19 – 23. If you haven’t registered, you can still take advantage of an A2IM discount here.
- If you’ll be at ADE, make sure to stop in to the A2IM/MetaPop networking event on Oct
- A2IM LA SynchUp is November 2! Deadline to RSVP is Friday, October 7!
- We welcome our new Brand Partnerships Manager, Sky McElroy!
- A2IM joined the creativity community to reject the revised FCC Set Top Box Proposal. We’re excited to say that the FCC is now reworking their proposal due to our efforts!
- Richard James Burgess urges all A2IM Members to be aware of Pandora’s new offering please feel free to reach out to us with any questions
- IFPI Consumer Research Spotlights Subscription, Mobile, Young Fans and Video Streaming – Read more here
- The Americana Music Association’s 15th annual Honors and Awards Show was held in Nashville, and once again Independents dominated, taking home 4 out of the 6 awards. Congratulations to all of the winners! Read more here.
- World’s Largest Music Stream Ripping Site Faces International Legal Action – read more here!
- A2IM congratulates our members CODISCOS, Nacional, Motéma Music and Sunnyside on their 16th Annual Latin Grammy Nominations! The voting for the Latin Grammys is NOW OPEN! Read more here.
Ask the CEO
Please feel free to submit your questions, here!
They will be answered in our next monthly round-up.
Answers from the last Ask The CEO:
How can someone who is now an outsider come back and work in music? Any networking tips? Have I been away too long? Thank you.
There’s no such thing as too long. Your networking is critical through attending conferences, parties, and of course LinkedIn. Go out to events even when you don’t want to. Also, please check the A2IM Job Board as it is a great tool for upcoming jobs. And persistence is everything.
Is A2IM interested in expanding to Latin America?
A2IM is committed to the idea of all Independent labels in world having representation. If there is any way that we can help any that are not represented, we would like to be instrumental in that. We are also expanding our trade missions to Latin America, and making sure those companies can come to the US, as well.