Some Highlights from 2017…
- Both Nielsen Music and BuzzAngle have shared their year-end reports for 2017
- The NYC Mayor’s Office announced June as First-Ever New York Music Month and dubbed June 6, 2017 “American Association Of Independent Music Day” during A2IM Indie Week.
- A2IM Indie Week 2017 and the Libera Awards were a huge success with over 880 registrants from across 14 different countries.
- A2IM was proud to present the first-ever A2IM Independent Impact Award to Florida Georgia Line during the Libera Awards
- The US Department of Commerce attended Midem on behalf of A2IM and they successfully facilitated the Maritime Silk Road Music Alliance, which is a letter of intent to explore new business opportunities for independent music in China
- On June 8th, 2017 A2IM elected it’s newest Elected Board Members: Glen Barros (President, Concord Music Group), Portia Sabin (President, Kill Rock Stars), Thaddeus Rudd, (Co-President, Mom+Pop Music) & Vic Zaraya (President, Razor & Tie)
- CEO Richard James Burgess attended the first AIR Indie-Con Australia and he spoke on the panel “Where’s My F–ing Money?” where he gave the inside scoop on where indies should be looking to ensure they are getting their fair share… from neighboring rights to blanket licensing deals and where the money flows.
- Lisa was abroad the better part of September working with our associates abroad at Reeperbahn Festival and Hard Working Class Heroes
- Billboard chart and issue dates will now be dated to the Saturday after charts post online and the magazine is published.
- Patrick was in Amsterdam for ADE where he curated and moderated a panel on the US electronic music market with A2IM members.
- Our annual L.A. Sync Up had its most successful year yet, where about 400 meetings were held with our member labels and music supervisors!
- A2IM held events and meetings at SXSW (our annual breakfast), Folk Alliance International, and MusicBiz.
- The Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) increased the rates for SiriusXM more than 40%, from 11% to 15.5% of revenue. A2IM thanks SoundExchange and our partners: the major labels, RIAA, AFM, SAG-AFTRA, the artists’ community, and our members who participated.
- “As a direct petitioner in this statutory rate setting hearing in pursuit of fairer rates for creators and labels, A2IM thanks SoundExchange and our partners: the major labels, RIAA, AFM, SAG-AFTRA, the artists’ community, and our members who participated. The CRB’s decision falls short of our objective of establishing platform parity, a willing buyer, willing seller standard, and a fair share of revenues generated for artists and labels. Nevertheless, a forty percent increase in rates is welcome and this result is a perfect example of what happens when the recorded music industry works together for the common good.” CEO Richard James Burgess
- While participating in the annual Redeye Label Hang, Patrick did an interview with local Hillsborough, NC radio station WHUP, alongside Hannah Silk Champagne from Warp Records, to discuss A2IM as well as the challenges and opportunities for the independent sector. You can check it out here. (Thanks to Redeye / Yep Roc for setting it up!)
- A2IM continues their support to keep Net Neutrality protections in order to protect independent businesses, like all of ours, and independent artists, and people and causes that already face an uphill battle to have their voice heard. It could limit the ability to reach their audiences such as fans and potential customers. Read about how you can help here.
- Richard sat down with Billboard for a Q&A and gave one of AWAL’s 50 Greatest Quotes for Independent Artists of the Year
- “I think the state of Indies is very, very strong right now. I think labels and artists are feeling more and more empowered. There are more options for Indies. We have dozens of distributors with all kind of variegated business models that you can choose from. From being a sole proprietor indie label all the way to being a label like Beggars with 150 employees or more, the options are there. And the options are there to hang on to more of the money you make.” — Richard Burgess, CEO of A2IM
- Thanks to the RIAA for compiling all of the Platinum and Gold First-Timer Artists. We loved seeing A2IM Members Big Machine, 300 Entertainment, Loma Vista, Curb Records, M.A. and Music/3D on there! Check out the full list here.
- In December, we welcomed CMH Label Group, 800 Pound Gorilla Records, Hutton Records, Villainy Records, Boyarski Frtiz LLP, Herø Records, Pure Noise Records, Round Hill Records, Joseph Serling, Release Musiq Group to the A2IM fam!
- A total of 97 independent record labels joined #TeamA2IM this year, making our membership at it’s all-time record high! #StayIndie
- A2IM Education Webinar (January 31, 2018 @ 2pm EST)
- A2IM Indie Week presented by SoundExchange (June 18-21, 2018 – New York City)
- A2IM Libera Awards presented by SoundExchange(June 21, 2018 – New York City)
Have you submitted for the Libera Awards yet? Deadline for submissions to be considered is January 31!
Be sure to purchase your tickets to A2IM Indie Week & The Libera Awards presented by SoundExchange before the cost rises on March 1!