The 2021 A2IM Libera Awards will celebrate 10 years on June 17, 2021. Submissions are now open!
SAVE THE DATE: The A2IM Libera Awards, first held in June 2012, was created by the American Association of Independent Music (A2IM) to celebrate the successes of the independent music community. After its first venture into the digital realm in 2020, A2IM is pleased to announce that the 10th anniversary of the Libera Awards will be held virtually on June 17, 2021. Provided that it is fully safe for people to gather in groups by the time of the show, an in-person event will also be included.
SUBMIT NOW: Each year, independent music labels from every genre, size, and geographical location submit their music, videos, artists, and campaigns for nomination consideration to be voted on by their peers. The 2021 Libera Award nominations are now open. Nominations close on Dec. 7, 2020.
CHANGES FOR 2021: No longer will the Libera Awards celebrate albums only. In 2021, the nomination submission requirements have been broadened to allow for records, which are inclusive of singles, EPs, and albums in all categories.
- Two new categories have been added for 2021:
- The A2IM Humanitarian Award will honor programs and work by a person, artist, or company designed to better the world through the independent music community.
- The A2IM Artist Record of the Year Award goes in tandem with A2IM’s new initiative, A2IM Artist, which was launched February 2020 to help self-releasing artists optimize their careers. This award category is open to all self-releasing artists who are registered as an A2IM Artist. Becoming an A2IM Artist is free; artists may join here.
A big thank you to our sponsors Merlin, Qobuz, Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp LLP, and ADA for their support for the 2021 Libera Awards. Visit LiberaAwards.com for more information.
- September 21, 2020: Libera Awards Submission Open
- December 7, 2020: Libera Awards Submission Close
- June 17, 2021: 10th Annual Libera Awards Show
2021 Libera Award Categories:
- Record of the Year
- Best R&B Record
- Best Jazz Record (presented by Qobuz)
- Best Blues Record
- Best Live/Livestream Act
- Best Sync Usage
- Breakthrough Artist/Release
- Creative Packaging
- Best Hip-Hop/Rap Record
- Best Country Record
- Best Americana Record
- Best Folk/Bluegrass Record
- Independent Champion
- Best Metal Record
- Best Alternative Rock Record
- Best Rock Record (presented by Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp LLP)
- Best Punk Record
- Label of the Year (Big) (Presented by ADA)
- Label of the Year (Medium)
- Label of the Year (Small)
- Best Latin Record
- Marketing Genius
- Best Dance/Electronic Record
- Video of the Year
- Best Classical Record
- Best Spiritual Record
- Best World Record
- Best Outlier Record
- Best Reissue
- A2IM Artist Record of the Year
- A2IM Humanitarian Award
A2IM is a 501(c)(6) not-for-profit trade organization headquartered in New York City that exists to support and strengthen the independent recorded music sector. Membership currently includes a broad coalition of more than 700 Independently-owned American music labels. A2IM represents these independently owned small and medium-sized enterprises’ (SMEs) interests in the marketplace, in the media, on Capitol Hill, and as part of the global music community. In doing so, it supports a key segment of America’s creative class that represents America’s diverse musical cultural heritage. Billboard Magazine identified the Independent music label sector as 37.32 percent of the music industry’s U.S. recorded music sales market in 2016 based on copyright ownership, making Independent labels collectively the largest music industry sector.