Posted in Events, Member Services, News by A2IM
2015 SXSW Accelerator: Entry Deadline Is Friday, November 7, 2014
Take advantage of the opportunity to showcase your emerging technology product or service in front of industry leaders by participating in the 2015 SXSW Accelerator. This event takes place on March 14th and 15th as a part of the SXSW Interactive Festival, during which you can improve your product launch, attract venture capitalists, polish your elevator pitch, receive media exposure, build brand awareness, network, socialize and experience all that SXSW Interactive has to offer. The deadline to register is Friday, November 7 so visit http://sxsw.com/interactive/accelerator/entry-info today.
1) Deadline: Friday, November 7, 2014
2) Launch date eligibility requirements:
a. A company’s product / service must have launched no earlier than March 16, 2014.
b. A company’s product / service must not be launched after June 16, 2015.
c. Companies will be allowed to submit only one product / services to the SXSW Accelerator event.
d. Companies who submit more than one product / services will not be eligible to participate in the SXSW Accelerator pitch event.
e. Founders of the applying startup must retain some portion of ownership in the company to be eligible to participate.
f. Company must not have raised over five million in funds from combined funding sources.
g. Product or service must fall within one of the SXSW Accelerator pitch event categories.
3) Is there an application fee?
a. Yes, a non-refundable $200 entry fee will be required from all applicants who would like to be considered for participation in the event.
4) Applicants must be within one of the six categories:
- Enterprise and Smart Data Technologies encompasses applications and technologies that facilitate comprehension and application of information. These startups seek to improve productivity and management of data, analytics, text, documents, and engagement for business and individual use.
- Entertainment and Content Technologies highlights applications and technologies for gaming, music, film, television, video, news and publishing, streaming and digital storytelling, as well as new and hybrid forms of entertainment. These are reinventing the ways in which we learn, relax and enjoy our time. This category also contains technologies that focus on other cultural sectors such as sports, travel, mapping, publishing and food as they pertain to entertainment
- Digital Health and Life Sciences Technologies involves patient-centric health applications and technologies that connect patients, families, physicians, pharmacists, care providers (hospitals, clinics) and benefit providers. These products and services enable people to collect and share timely, relevant health data and drive better outcomes at affordable and sustainable cost levels. These may include Internet of Things and wearable devices, but such devices may be more appropriate in the Wearable Technologies or Innovative World categories (see below).
- Social Technologies includes applications and technologies that enable personal connections. With this category we’re looking for new and interesting uses, cases, products and services, as well as messaging that push the boundaries of how we find, follow and share our lives with others. If your business or service has a social component but is primarily focused on Entertainment, Health or Wearable Technologies, then you should enter one of these other categories instead.
- Wearable Technologies focuses on technology worn on, in, or around the body. As this major technology cycle advances we are seeking all types of wearable products that advance human performance and wellness, as well as those involved in apparel, accessories, fashion and lifestyle. If your product is focused on patient/clinician information, please apply in the Digital Health and Life Sciences Technologies category.
- Innovative World Technologies - Any creative and innovative technology that does not fit in another category is encouraged to apply here. We are currently seeing lots of innovation in the Internet of Things, payments and virtual currencies, data security and privacy, transportation such as autonomous vehicles, energy, space, robotics, and artificial intelligence, If your business / service / application applies to one of these fields (or something not on this list that is even more ground-breaking), then this is your category.
5) Will SXSW announce the Judges and Emcee before the event?
Yes, the Judges and Emcees who are industry experts and/or investors from the financial community will be announced later this year on the SXSW website. Here is an example of past Judges and Emcees – Tim Draper of DFJ, John Sculley of Apple/Pepsi, Tim O’Reilly of O’Reilly Media, Paul Graham of Y Combinator, Naval Ravikant of AngelList, Guy Kawasaki of Alltop, Chris Sacca of Lowercase Capital, Chris Hughes of New Republic/Facebook, Mark Suster of Upfront Ventures, Albert Wenger of Union Square Venture, Scott Weiss of Andreessen Horowitz, and Bob Metcalfe of Ethernet/3Com.
6) Where can I get more information:
Visit the Accelerator website at sxsw.com/interactive/accelerator or contact Jennifer Masset, A2IM’s Senior Director of Member Services and Advisory Board Member for SXSW Accelerator.